Prep 20 mins
Cook 11 hrs
This is the way I do my rotisserie chicken on my outdoor grill, and I most always do two or three whole chickens, you may use a larger roaster chicken in place of the fryers or even a small turkey but cooking time will need to be increased, I have stated to cook until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees, I most always remove slightly before that as the chicken/s will continue to cook after removing, I use seasoned salt but white salt will do just fine :)
- In a small bowl combine melted butter or margarine with oil, 2 teaspoons seasoned salt, garlic powder paprika and black pepper.
- Wash the chicken inside and out with cold water, then pat dry using a paper towel.
- Lightly salt the inside cavity with seasoned salt or white salt and black pepper.
- Tie the legs and wings together securely with cotton butchers twine, then tie string around the body of the chicken in two places.
- Set grill to high heat.
- Thread the chicken on the rotisserie spit, then place on the rotisserie grill.
- Cook chicken for 10 minutes on high heat.
- After 10 minutes on high heat REDUCE the grill heat to medium then baste the chicken all over with some of the melted butter mixture (leave some to baste with during cooking time).
- Close the lid and cook for 1 to 1-1/2 hours basting occasionally or until the chicken is cooked through and internal temperature reaches 180 degrees F when taken with a meat thermometer.
- Cooking time will vary just slightly depending on the size of the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the rotisserie and place on a large plate.
- Cover loosely with foil and let stand for about 15 minutes before slicing.
Fantastic. We did have a little trouble when we were trying to tie her up.All we had was crochet yarn so at the very lest, she was colorful. The taste was excellent, we will never purchase those storebought hens again.
I had a 5 1/2 pound chicken and the cooking time did not change. The result was a most tender and juicy chicken! My biggest problem is that I cannot find butcher's twine locally.