Finally a sauce you can make at home the tastes just the like the sauce that is served at your favorite Chinese restaurant! --- this is the sauce recipe that goes with my Kittencal's Chinese Chicken Balls With Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon regular soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 cup white sugar (can reduce a 2-3 tablespoons for a less sweeter taste)
- 3⁄4 cup cold water (or can use unsweetened pineapple juice or half each, I prefer the pineapple juice)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (for a thinner sauce reduce to 2 tablespoons, if you want an very thick sauce use 4 tablespoons)
- In a saucepan combine the first 5 ingredients until combined.
- In a cup or bowl whisk the cold water with cornstarch or pineapple juice until smooth and combined, then whisk in ketchup mixture; bring to a boil stirring or whisking constantly over medium-high heat until bubbly and thickened (the sauce will continue to thicken more while simmering).
- Cool slightly and use immediately or refrigerate.