1/3 Photos of Kittencal's Potato Kugel
1 hr 30 mins
This is mostly served as a side dish with pot roast and gravy, I have even made this for Sunday brunch and served it with eggs! --- to save time the potatos may be grated and kept refrigerated covered completely in cold water for up to 3 days ---I like to also add in some cayenne pepper for a little heat --- for a lighter fluffier textured kugel add in another egg with 1 teaspoon baking powder --- for Passover subsitute matzo meal for the flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 large potatoes, peeled and coarsley grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste) or 2 teaspoons white salt (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (I use lots!)
- 6 tablespoons oil, divided (not olive oil)
- 1Set oven to 400 degrees F ( (bottom oven rack).
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, then pour about 3 tablespoons oil into bottom of the baking dish.
- 3.Squeeze out excess moisture from the shredded potatoes with hands, and place into a large bowl, then add in chopped onion.
- 4Add in remaining ingredients with 3 tablespoons remaining oil; mix well to combine (I use my hands for mixing).
- 5Adjust the salt and pepper if needed.
- 6The next step is only optional it will speed up cooking time and create a crispy bottom and sides.
- 7Place the baking dish with the oil in the oven and heat the oil for about 6-8 minutes.
- 8Carefully spread the potato mixture in the baking dish (careful, the dish will be hot!) .
- 9This step is only optional otherwise just pour the potato mixture into the oiled cold baking dish.
- 10Bake uncovered for about 1-1/4 hours, or until nicely browned on top (the longer that you bake it the more crispier it will be, so bake until it is to desired crispness).
Browse Our Top Weeknight Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Weeknight Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Potato Kugel
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.8
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 50.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: