Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you don't mind the idea of using canned soup this is a delicious tomato sauce, because of the instant rice in the meatballs it will need about 1-1/2 to 2 hours of cooking time , I sometimes remove about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the simmering sauce cool slightly then mix into the ground beef mixture before shaping into meatballs, you may need to adjust the brown sugar and vinegar amounts during cooking --- for meatballs I use my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs
- 4 tablespoons oil (or as needed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to desired heat level)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted (Campbell's is best to use)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (use my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked instant rice (such as Minute Rice)
- For the meatballs; mix the ground beef with ingredients stated in the recipe.
- Mix in 1-1/2 cups instant uncooked rice.
- Shape into about 1-1/4--inch balls or as desired, then place onto a plate.
- For the sauce; in a pot heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, oregano and basil; cook stirring for about 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add in garlic and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in all remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a simmer stirring over medium heat until well combined.
- Place the meatballs into the simmering sauce; bring back to a simmer (do not stir the sauce for at least 25 minutes or the meatballs will break apart).
- Reduce heat to low or to a low simmer and cook uncovered for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours stirring frequently after the 25-30 minutes of cooking time.
- Adjust the brown sugar and vinegar amounts if needed, then season with more salt and black pepper.
If I could give this more stars I would. These were so wonderfully delicious. The right amount of tangy flavor and plenty of sauce. Did everything as the recipe is written but I chose to put it in the oven. Put it at 350 for about an hour turned out great. Even my DD had two balls and ate it all up with her mashed potatoes. Never know when teenagers will like what you serve them. Thank you Kittencal for this delicious meal.
2 thumbs up from the whole family! Their introduction to porcupines and it was a success. Good umami and sweetness, I think this will be a new regular Sunday night dinner. Served with mashed potatoes.
This was delicious!!! This is a keeper and I will be making this again.