1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Porcupine Meatballs in Sweet and Sour Tomato Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
If you don't mind the idea of using canned soup this is a delicious tomato sauce, because of the instant rice in the meatballs it will need about 1-1/2 to 2 hours of cooking time , I sometimes remove about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the simmering sauce cool slightly then mix into the ground beef mixture before shaping into meatballs, you may need to adjust the brown sugar and vinegar amounts during cooking --- for meatballs I use my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons oil (or as needed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to desired heat level)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted (Campbell's is best to use)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4-1/3 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1For the meatballs; mix the ground beef with ingredients stated in the recipe.
- 2Mix in 1-1/2 cups instant uncooked rice.
- 3Shape into about 1-1/4--inch balls or as desired, then place onto a plate.
- 4For the sauce; in a pot heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 5Add in onion, oregano and basil; cook stirring for about 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- 6Add in garlic and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- 7Add in all remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a simmer stirring over medium heat until well combined.
- 8Place the meatballs into the simmering sauce; bring back to a simmer (do not stir the sauce for at least 25 minutes or the meatballs will break apart).
- 9Reduce heat to low or to a low simmer and cook uncovered for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours stirring frequently after the 25-30 minutes of cooking time.
- 10Adjust the brown sugar and vinegar amounts if needed, then season with more salt and black pepper.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Porcupine Meatballs in Sweet and Sour Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.7
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 1069.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 19.4 g
- Protein 25.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: