1/8 Photos of Kittencal's Perfect Roasted Whole Turkey (Great for Beginners)
4 hrs 25 mins
Here you will find easy step-by-step instructions that will result in the best juiciest turkey you will ever have! cooking the turkey breast-side down will create a tender juicy turkey without brining or using other methods --- if you are stuffing the turkey you will need approximately 8 cups of prepared stuffing for an 18-pound turkey --- the cooking time for this recipe is for an 18-pound stuffed turkey cooked at 325 degrees F but you have the option of stuffing or not --- my best advise for a beginner is to use a meat thermometer inserted in the breast area, this way you will be assured that your turkey is cooked to the proper temperature, you can cover the uncooked stuffed turkey with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight and just pop it in the oven the following mid-morning or whenever you are ready to cook the turkey --- make certain that you have lots of chicken broth handy for this recipe as you will most likely need to keep adding more into the pan while cooking --- see cooking times on the bottom for whole turkeys --- see my Kittencal's Easy No-Fail Make Anytime Turkey Gravy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Set oven to 325 degrees F, convection oven heat set to 320 degrees F.
- 2Set oven rack to lowest position.
- 3Remove the giblets and neck from the cavity.
- 4Rinse the turkey well with cold water inside and out then pat dry with a paper towel.
- 5Place the turkey on a rack on a roasting pan.
- 6In a small bowl mix together the melted butter with oil (I also like to add in 1 teaspoon garlic powder with the oil/butter mixture if you are a garlic-lover then use it).
- 7Fill the inside cavity loosley with prepared stuffing (if you are not using stuffing then tie the legs together with cotton butchers twine).
- 8Using clean hands rub the outside of the turkey with the oil/butter/garlic mixture.
- 9Season the turkey all over with salt and lots fresh ground black pepper.
- 10If you are NOT stuffing the bird place breast-side down on the rack, if stuffing leave breast-side up.
- 11Place/tent a large piece of heavy foil over the turkey.
- 12Place the pan in the oven, then pour about 4-5 cups chicken broth in the pan.
- 13Keep basting the turkey about every 30-40 minutes with the pan juices on the bottom of the pan (removing the foil and re-tenting every time you baste).
- 14If you see the juices starting to evaporate then add in more broth to the pan about 2 cups at a time.
- 15After about 2-1/2 hours of cooking time remove the foil.
- 16Keep roasting (325 degrees F) until the internal thermometer reads 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).
- 17The total cooking time for this 18-pound stuffed bird should be about 4 hours.
- 18Transfer the cooked turkey to a large serving platter, cover loosley with foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving (DO NOT slice the turkey before 30 minutes or all juices will flow out of the bird!).
- 20**NOTE** cooking times for whole turkeys cooked at 325 degrees are as follows.
- 21For an 8-12 pound turkey, roast for 2-3/4 to 3 hours.
- 22For a 12-14 pound turkey, roast for 3 to 3-3/4 hours.
- 23For a 14-18 pound turkey, roast for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours.
- 24For an 18-20 pound turkey, roast for 4-1/2 to 4-3/4 hours.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Perfect Roasted Whole Turkey (Great for Beginners)
Serving Size: 1 (644 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 953.0
- Calories from Fat 477
- Total Fat 53.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 356.9 mg
- Sodium 1178.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 105.7 g