Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
For a nice change substitute finely shredded white cheddar cheese for the Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped chives for the parsley and also you could add in 1/4 cup mayo in with the butter mixture :)
Top Review by Gagoo
I knew this would be excellent - as everything I've tried by you, Kittencal, has been marvelous. In order to get to the 2 tablespoons of fresh minced garlic you recommend it took 8 good sized cloves unlike some of the reviews who stated they only used three - perhaps where I live they make them smaller:) At any rate, there will be no other garlic bread paste used in our home from this day forward. Thank you again Kittencal for ALL your fantastic recipes.
7/16/11 Update - I prepared this for my DD and her husband tonight - I couldn't use garlic so instead used shallots and in place of parsley used fresh rosemary, what a completely different twist on this bread - as good as with garlic & parsley (if not better).
- 1 loaf French bread (not the long thin kind)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 grated parmesan cheese (you may increase slightly if desired)
- 1 pinch salt (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375°F.
- ** FOR GARLIC BREAD; cut slices down the length of the bread about 1-inch intervals without cutting all the way through.
- In a bowl, combine the softened butter with garlic, parsley and Parmesan cheese; mix well to combine.
- Spread the butter/garlic mixture between bread slices, and then on the top of the loaf (you may sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top of the loaf if desired).
- Wrap the bread in heavy-duty foil leaving the top partially uncovered.
- Bake until heated through (about 15 minutes).
- ** FOR GARLIC TOAST; slice the bread into slices, then spread the garlic butter mixture over the top of each slice of bread, then sprinkle more Parmesan cheese over the top of each slice or you can sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top in place of the Parmesan.
- Place onto a baking sheet and bake (350 degrees F) until lightly toasted to desired doneness.
- Serve warm.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Combine all ingredients (except the bread) store covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze in a covered container ----- this bread can be made without the addition of the Parmesan cheese if desired, but of course it's better with the cheese!