1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Pan-Seared Steak, Stove Top-To-Oven Method
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
There has been many requests for pan seared steak that is started in a skillet then finished cooking in the oven this is the recipe/method for the perfect seared steak---to insure perfect doneness you will need an instant-read thermometer for this, and you will need a cast-iron or a heavy oven-proof skillet --- the times listed are for 2-1/2-inch thick steaks preferably New York or rib-eye. --- IMPORTANT do not add on any salt until the steak is finished cooking, salt will draw out the juices, and make certain to leave the steak/s out at room temperature for 1-1/2 hours this will relax the meat fibers and make for a tender juicy steak
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pat the meat dry using paper towels.
- 2Season the steak/s with black pepper, then allow the meat to sit at room temperature for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- 3Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 4Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat or just until the oil begins to lightly smoke.
- 5Cook/sear the steak in the heated skillet over medium-high heat until a dark crust has formed (about 5-6 minutes per side, reduce the heat if the meat is browning too quickly, if you prefer a lighter outside crust then reduce the time slightly).
- 6After the 5-6 minutes cooking on each side you may lift the steak with tongs and brown the edges also.
- 7Return the steak flat in the pan.
- 8Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until an instant-read thermometer reads to desired doneness (oven cooking time will be anywhere from 5-15 minutes depending on the desired doneness of your steak --- for medium-rare 140-145 degrees and for medium 155-160 degrees. please be aware that the temperature will continue to cook after removing the steak so it is advised to pull the pan out slightly before the desired doneness).
- 9Transfer the steak to a plate using tongs (do not use a fork or the juices will run out).
- 10Spread the top with butter then season lightly with salt.
- 11Cover loosely with foil and allow to rest about 5-6 minutes.
- 12Slice across the grain.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Pan-Seared Steak, Stove Top-To-Oven Method
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.0
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 101.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef steaks