Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This makes a very tasty tender and chewy crust, you can leave the dough in one piece for an extra large pizza or divide it in two for two smaller pizzas --- this must be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated overnight after the first rise, no need to preheat the oven before baking the pizza, and make certain to sprinkle the cheese on top of the crust then place the remaining topping on top of the cheese --- you will love this crust!
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (more as needed or use half bread flour and half all purpose flour)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (can use vegetable or Canola oil)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- fresh garlic (optional) or garlic powder (optional)
- Proof the yeast with 1 teaspoon sugar in 1-1/2 cups warm water for about 8-10 minutes or until foamy.
- Meanwhile fit a heavy-duty stand mixer with the kneader blade.
- In the bowl, place 4 cups flour with 1/2 cup oil (can use vegetable or Canola oil) 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 teaspoons salt and the fresh chopped garlic or garlic powder (if using).
- After the yeast is proofed and foamy, add it to the bowl and start kneading, adding in more flour if needed to create a soft smooth dough (knead for about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl.
- Gather up dough and knead gently for about 30 seconds and place into the bowl.
- Cover and let rise for about 1 hour (might take more or a little less than 1 hour) or until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down dough.
- Shape into a large ball.
- Generously oil the outside of the dough ball, and place in a heavy-duty ziploc plastic bag and close the bag.
- Place in the fridge overnight.
- If the dough keeps rising in the bag, just punch lightly with hands and it will go down (you might have to do this several times, it will not effect the texture or taste).
- When ready to use roll out dough and place on a large pizza pan or two small pans, trim ends with a pizza cutter.
- Top with sauce then sprinkle with cheese and then top with favorite toppings (I like bacon and mushrooms!) the cheese must be put on before the toppings and over the sauce.
- Set oven to 425 degrees (bottom rack) and place into the oven immediately without preheating.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is light brown on bottom.
Ok, I went through the process of "signing up" just so I can post a review on this recipe:
AMAZING! Really, you are great, I'm so glad I discovered you and now I'm obsessed with your recipes, I can't wait to put my daughter down to come and find more....and more and more! :D you're making me look like the best chef in my husband's eyes. thank you <3
I did love this crust! It is so easy to prepare! After performing step 1, I put everything in my bread machine (thanks for that tip kuisinera!) and set it on the dough cycle. When it was done, I left it in the machine for 30 mins (step 7); then I followed the directions exactly from step 8. The next day, I put it in a 15 in by 11 in pan and had plenty of dough to stuff the crust AND make a small, personal-sized pizza (maybe 6 in). The baked crust was so tender & yummy--exactly the way my family likes it! And I just love that you can prepare all your ingredients the day before (chop veggies, brown the meat, & make Kittencal's Pizza Sauce), leaving only the assembly & baking of the pie before devouring it! Cannot wait until tomorrow b/c I have some dough in the fridge waiting for me... :)
This is my family's new favorite pizza crust! I love the ease of being able to prepare it the day beforehand. I make this with freshly ground whole wheat flour, and it is fantastic. Thanks for this recipe!