1/5 Photos of Kittencal's Oven-Baked Brown Rice
1 hr 5 mins
If you love brown rice then try this recipe, the rice bakes out perfect all the time! if you are using a highly-salted broth then you may want to reduce the salt slightly, for extra heat add in some cayenne pepper --- I also like to add in a few small bay leaves for added flavor ---- the recipe may be reduced to half, for vegetarian use vegetable broth or water and olive oil in place of butter --- this may also be made without the onion and garlic, see note on bottom.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth (heat until very hot) or 5 cups water (heat until very hot)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 1Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Set oven to second-lowest rack (or middle rack).
- 3Grease a Dutch oven (use one that has a tight-fitting lid).
- 4Heat 3 tablespoons butter in the Dutch oven over medium heat; add in brown rice, onion, garlic and coarse black pepper and cook stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- 5Add in broth and seasoned salt; bring just to a boil stirring with a spoon; remove from heat then carefully transfer to prepared casserole dish.
- 6Cover with a lid or foil.
- 7Bake for about 1 hour or until rice is tender.
- 8Fluff with a fork.
- 9**NOTE** to make omitting the onion and garlic; place the rice in a casserole dish with the salt.
- 10On top of the stove heat the broth or water with butter or oil until very hot, then pour over the rice; mix with a spoon.
- 11Cover with foil or a lid and bake for about 1 hour or until desired texture.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Oven-Baked Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.2
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 88.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: