Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have a family of onion-lovers so I always double the recipe, this gravy has tons of flavor, if you love onions then then you will love this! If you want a dark richer gravy then omit the water and use 1 cup consomme. This is delicious served with a pork roast and mashed taters or over fries, do not add in any extra salt until end of cooking :)
Top Review by Charlotte J
This is so full of flavor!! It is really very good and easy to make Kittencal. I used 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. I think I will use just 1 tablespoon the next time. Other then that I would not change a thing. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders 2007 game
- 2-3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml butter
- 88.74 ml flour
- 59.14 ml water
- 236.59 ml canned beef broth, undiluted (low-sodium is okay)
- 177.44 ml canned consomme, undiluted
- 29.58-44.37 ml Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper (lots of pepper!)
- salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat the butter over medium heat, add in sliced onions with sugar; saute for about 20-22 minutes or until the onions are softened and lightly browned.
- Add in the flour and cook/whisk stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add/stir in water, beef broth, consomme Worcestershire sauce and black pepper; simmer stirring and scraping up the browned bits, until the gravy is slightly thickened (about 8-10 minutes).
- Season with more black pepper and add in salt if desired.
- Adjust the Worcestershire sauce to taste.