Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
The filling is easy to make and is cooked in the microwave so no more burnt saucepan bottoms, of coarse you can still make it on top of the stove in a heavy-bottomed saucepan if so desired --- this recipe was developed using cream of coconut only not coconut cream (the two are different) coconut milk may be found in any major grocery store --- prep time includes chilling time but does not include making the pie crust --- plan ahead the pie filling needs to chill about 6 or more hours before topping with the whipped cream, --- you may use a 14-ounce can of coconut milk instead of a 398-ml can, if you cannot find a 14-ounce can use a size almost close to that amount or use 1-2/3 cups.
- 1 (398 ml) can coconut milk (do not use cream of coconut)
- 1 1⁄3 cups 18% table cream (to measure 3 cups with the coconut milk) or 1 1⁄3 cups half-and-half cream (to measure 3 cups with the coconut milk)
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1 pint 35% heavy whipping cream (or 2 cups unwhipped whipping cream, can use more if desired)
- 1 prebaked deep dish pie shell (completely cooled before filling)
- 1 cup toasted flaked coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure the 398-ml can of coconut milk with the table cream to make 3 cups, then place in a large microwave-safe bowl (I use my 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup for this).
- Add in the eggs and whisk until completely combined with the milk.
- Add in sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and coconut extract (if using) whisk vigorously to combine.
- Place in microwave and cook on HIGH removing about every couple of minutes to whisk (you must whisk vigorously every time removing as the mixture tends to thicken more around the edges of the bowl so it must be blended all together) cook until thickened and smooth, in my microwave it takes about 8 minutes to thicken.
- Pour the filling into baked cooled pie crust; cool for 20 minutes on the counter then place a piece of plastic wrap directly over the cooked filling.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours or until very firm (can leave in the fridge for up to 24 hours).
- In a large well-chilled bowl beat 1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream until just thickened, then add in 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar and continue beating until quite stiff (you may refrigerate the whipped cream until ready to use).
- After pie is cooled remove plastic wrap and top with whipped cream, sprinkle cooled toasted coconut over the whipped cream, serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
- OPTIONAL; for toasting coconut; set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place about 1/2 cup coconut on a baking sheet and bake until light golden brown stirring occasionally (about 4-5 minutes, watch closely do not burn as the coconut browns quickly!).
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut on top of the whipped cream.
- Serve and enjoy!