1/6 Photos of Kittencal's No More Watery Meringue
Using this method will prevent your meringue from "weeping" and will hold up well for days, it's great for lemon meringue pies --- prep time does not include cooling time. cornstarch/water mixture. If you are making two pies and using 6 or more egg whites, just double up and use 2 tbsp of cornstarch, 4 tbsps cold water and 1 cup boiling water, and follow same method.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan, blend the cornstarch with the water.
- 2Add the boiling water, and cook, stirring until clear and thickened.
- 3Let stand until COMPLETELY COLD ( I just put it in the fridge for an hour to speed up the cooling process, but by all means it can sit out at room temperature too).
- 4With an electric mixer, at high speed, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- 5Gradually add in the sugar; beat until stiff, but not dry.
- 6Turn the mixer to low speed; add in the salt and vanilla.
- 7Gradually beat in the cold cornstarch mixture.
- 8Turn the mixer onto high again; beat well.
- 9Spread the meringue over cooled pie filling sealing the meringue to the pie crust.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's No More Watery Meringue
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 323.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 89.6 g
- Protein 10.8 g