1/4 Photos of Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust
I don't think you will find a better pie pastry, not only is this easy to handle but bakes outs flaky and light and has a rich buttery flavor! --- you could use 3 cups all purpose flour but the crust will not be as flaky --- here's a tip, to prevent a soggy pie crust brush a thin layer of egg white over the bottom crust before filling --- *NOTE* this can also be made using a processor with great results, which is the way I most always do (see instructions below the recipe) if you are making this on a food processor cube the butter and lard into about 1-inch pieces and then partially freeze.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix both flours, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- 2With a pastry cutter cut in the very cold butter and lard until the consistency of tiny peas.
- 3In a small bowl whisk the egg yolk, vinegar and water.
- 4Stir the egg/water mixture into the flour mixture until moistened and dough holds together (usually it takes the full amount of water/egg mixture).
- 5Gather into a ball then divide into two.
- 6Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for 30 minutes (or the dough may be frozen after the 30 minutes chilling time, just wrap firstly in plastic wrap and then tightly in foil, leave in fridge overnight to defrost).
- 7PROCESSOR METHOD: whirl the flour, sugar and salt for a couple of seconds.
- 8In a small bowl mix the egg, vinegar and water together; set aside.
- 9Add in the partially frozen butter cubes and lard to the flour mixture; pulse until well mixed, then add in the water/egg mixture.
- 10Process/pulse JUST until the dough holds together (do not over process, or your dough will be tough!).
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.5
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 149.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 2.5 g