Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These are bakery-quality muffins, the directions slightly differ from the regular method which is what sets these apart and the method that many bakeries use to make their muffins, the butter is mixed with the flour firstly to create a lighter-textured baked muffin, you may omit the berries and add in whatever you desire, chocolate chips, dried fruit etc, if using strawberries choose red very firm berries using soft berries will create a soft sticky dough --- these may be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container at room temperature, rewarm in a 275°F oven for about 8 minutes --- see my Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) for greasing pans :)
- 1005.50 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml butter, softened
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml cinnamon (or to taste)
- 14.79 ml grated lemon zest
- 354.88 ml buttermilk (do not substitute milk in place of the buttermilk)
- 2 large eggs
- 14.79 ml vanilla or 9.85 ml almond extract
- 473.18 ml blueberries (fresh or frozen unthawed OR 1-1/2 to 2 cups chopped fresh firm strawberries and 1-2 teaspoons strawb)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-bottom position.
- Generously grease 12 jumbo muffin tins, then cut out circles of parchment paper (or waxed paper) to fit into the bottom of each muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer blend the flour with sugar, butter and salt until mixture resembles a fine meal (reserve 1/2 cup of the mixture and transfer to a small bowl; set aside to sprinkle on top of muffins).
- In a small bowl mix together baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and lemon zest to the remaining flour mixture; mix until combined.
- In a bowl whisk together buttermilk with eggs and vanilla to blend; add to the creamed mixture; gently mix just until combined (do not over mix!).
- Carefully fold in the blueberries or chopped strawberries.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the reserved streusel over tops of muffins.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until muffins test done (if using frozen berries baking time will increase slightly).
- Cool for about 5 minutes in tins then carefully lift out to a rack.