1/4 Photos of Kittencal's Mini Meatball Minestrone Soup
1 hr 40 mins
This is a delicious rich soup that will need a longer cooking time then most soups and tastes even better the next day it's really a meal in itself, I serve it with garlic bread on the side --- to save some time prepare the meatballs up to a day ahead, the meatball mixture may be doubled if desired, if you don't use all the meatballs then freeze for another time and just drop them into the soup frozen -- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dry red wine may be added to the soup :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to suit heat level)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth (can use beef broth)
- 4 cups tomato sauce (for a richer flavor use 2 cups each tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes)
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (rinsed over with cold water)
- 2 -3 medium zucchini, sliced thick (or coarsely chopped)
- cooked small shell pasta (use any amount desired, small shell pasta or macaroni will work fine)
- 1/3-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (more for sprinkling)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef (or use half beef and pork)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped (use white part only)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1For the meatballs; in a bowl combine all ingredients until blended.
- 2Shape into 3/4-inch balls; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to add to the soup.
- 3In a large pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- 4Add in onions, dried oregano and crushed chili flakes; saute for about 4 minutes, stirring.
- 5Add in celery, carrots and tomato paste; saute stirring for 2-3 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 6Add in chicken broth, tomato sauce, kidney beans, green beans, spinach leaves and zucchini; return to a boil.
- 7Add in uncooked meatballs; bring to a simmer (do not stir for at least 20 minutes).
- 8Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours (after about 30 minutes of cooking season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste).
- 9Add in cooked pasta and 1/3 to 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; stir to heat through (can add in more cheese if desired).
- 10Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Mini Meatball Minestrone Soup
Serving Size: 1 (505 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.4
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 46.1 mg
- Sodium 1365.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: