Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You won't see this anywhere, I developed this dip! Serve this at your next get together and your guests will never want to leave after they get a taste of this! Although you can serve this chilled it is much better at almost room temperature. You can prepare the ground beef mixture up to 2 days in advance and just warm in the microwave before using in the recipe. I use my guacamole Really Easy and Good Creamy Guacamole and my Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix to flavor the sour cream and the ground beef, or you can use store-bought or your own favorite recipe! We like extreme spice so I add in 2 jalapeno peppers and also dried chili flakes, if you are serving this to a crowd of people you can reduce or omit the spices completely, also you can adjust all the ingredients to taste. Servings is only estimated, if you are serving a huge crowd then I advise to make two dishes of this dip!
Top Review by Heaven's Kitchen
This is almost exactly like the dip my mom made for us when we were growing up! Most recipes don't include the seasoned ground beef, but that is how we always had it when I was a kid. We would often just have this for supper! It is very filling. We also used to be able to pick up some of this from the deli of some grocery stores, but since homemade is always better, I haven't looked for it in the stores for a while. I think the only differences between this recipe and how we make it is that we just use cheddar instead of the Mexiblend cheese, and we didn't add any jalapeno. I like the addition of the jalapeno, though! And when I have it, I also like to garnish with a bit of fresh cilantro.
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 4 cups cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided (can use more to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sour cream (can use more)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (start with 1 tablespoon and add in more to taste)
- 1 cup prepared guacamole (or to taste)
- 1 -2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 cup sliced black olives (or to taste)
- 1 -2 plum tomato, chopped
- 2 -3 green onions, finely chopped
GROUND BEEF MIXTURE
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (or use a mixture of ground beef with Italian sausage meat, casings removed)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh minced garlic (to taste) (optional)
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (I use Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a 13 x 9-inch glass dish (or use a similar serving dish).
- In a skillet brown the ground beef with onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers (if using) until browned; drain fat then add in the taco seasoning; cook stirring for 1 minute or a little more, season with salt and pepper to taste; set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- In a bowl mix together the sour cream with taco seasoning (start with 1 tablespoon adding in more to taste).
- Spread the refried beans in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle about 2 cups Mexi-blend shredded cheese on top of the beans.
- Sprinkle the warm cooked ground beef mixture evenly on top of the cheese.
- Spread the sour cream over the ground beef.
- Dollop or spread the guacamole carefully over the sour cream.
- Pour the salsa over the guacamole and then spread out as best you can using a spoon.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups shredded cheese (can use more).
- Top with sliced or chopped black olives.
- This can be served immediately or chill it for up to 24 hours (it is better served right away!).