This is a delicious tomato based rice dish, spicy pork sausage meat may be replaced for the ground beef which is what I prefer to use, make this as spicy as you like by adjusting the chili flakes, the olives may be omitted I strongly suggest to add them in you could substitute 3/4 cup frozen peas, this recipe was developed using converted rice I can't promise the same results using another kind of rice
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (can use 2 onions)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (don't skimp on the garlic add in more if desired)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (can use water or half each, all chicken broth is better to use)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (no substitutes, crushed will not work)
- 1 cup uncooked converted long grain white rice (such as Uncle Ben's converted rice)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste, can use white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green olives
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add in ground beef with onion, bell pepper, garlic and chili flakes until no longer pink; drain fat, then continue cooking until the meat is browned (this may take 10-12 minutes, the beef must be browned!).
- Mix in the taco seasoning mix until combined.
- Add in all remaining ingredients including the juice from the canned tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low cover and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until the rice is tender.