This is wonderful on a cold day --- I use my Kittencal's Best Chicken Stock/Broth (Crock Pot Option) for this that I keep in the freezer, canned low-sodium will do just fine but homemade broth is always the best and do not add any extra salt to the broth as the matzo balls already have plenty of salt in them already you may always add in some salt if needed at the end of cooking --- these matzo balls will almost double in size when simmering in the broth so do not reduce the amount of broth you may however increase if desired --- matzo meal may be found in the Jewish section of any major supermarket or sold in Jewish food stores.
- 12 cups low sodium chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen carrots, coins (or use fresh carrots peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or use Canola oil)
- 1 cup matzo meal (no substitutes use only matzo meal)
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder (can use 2 teaspoons if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt (can use kosher salt)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (if not a garlic-lover then omit)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- For the matzo balls;.in a small or medium size bowl whisk eggs with the oil together until well blended.
- In a medium bowl combine the matzo meal with baking powder, salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Add in the egg/oil mixture; mix lightly until combined (do not over mix).
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour or longer.
- Using lightly greased hands shape the mixture into about 1-1/2-inch balls.
- Place the balls onto a plate.
- Bring the chicken broth to a simmer then add in carrots.
- Carefully drop the balls into simmering broth a few at a time (make certain the broth is simmering when you drop in the balls).
- When all the balls are in the broth reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for about 30-35 minutes or until the balls are soft and tender (the balls with almost double in size when cooking in the broth).
- Season the broth with black pepper.
- Ladle the broth and matzo balls into bowls and enjoy.