Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Plan ahead the veggies need to marinate for at least 24 hours before serving. These will keep well for a couple of days stored tightly covered in the refrigerator. The garlic is optional add in only if you are a garlic-lover as it tends to overpower the marinade! You can use pitted black olives in place of the green, add in some crushed red chili flakes for heat if desired :)
- 1⁄2 head of fresh cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and cut into about 1-2-inch strips)
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cubed
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup pimento-stuffed green olives
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar (can use wine vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional) or 2 large garlic cloves, chopped (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add in the cauliflower and broccoli; blanch for 1 minute; drain then immediately plunge into ice or very cold water to stop the cooking process; drain well.
- In a large glass bowl combine all veggies with the olives.
- In a small bowl whisk together all marinade ingredients until completely combined and no sugar or salt granules remain.
- Pour over veggies; toss well, cover and chill for 24 hours before serving.
A very good and basic recipe but I think it needed more salt. I didn't bother to cook the veggies at all and they softened up very nicely. Next time I will add some more kosher salt or maybe even season salt to see how it turns out.
Absolutely fantastic!! Used all raw veggies. Also, used about 1/4 cup of raw apple cider vinegar instead of the 3/4 cup white vinegar. Superb!!
This is a WONDERFUL marinated veggie recipe! It has a very nice mix of veggies and a good flavor. I used everything, including the fresh garlic. I did use Enova oil and subbed Splenda for the sugar. I heated the marinade for 2 minutes in the microwave. The colors of this salad remind me of the 70's and it's great for Halloween! Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.