1/3 Photos of Kittencal's Marinated Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw
24 hrs 15 mins
I make this quite often for BBQ parties and everyone loves it! plan ahead, this salad must be prepared a day ahead and left in the fridge overnight to blend the flavors, it will take on a completely different flavor --- I have even added in lightly blanched broccoli and/or cauliflower florets to the veggies, feel free to add in whatever you want to --- remember to add in the white sugar to suit taste if you prefer a sweeter coleslaw adjust the sugar amount, I have added up to about 1 cup, taste the dressing before adding to the salad if you think it needs more sugar then add it into the dressing before mixing into the slaw just make certain to whisk very well so that the sugar is mixed in completely.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large cabbage (shredded or finely chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped (or use sweet onion)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (hand-squeeze excess moisture out)
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 -3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white sugar (can add up to 3/4 cup)
- black pepper (optional)
- 1In a large bowl, mix the vegetables together.
- 2Mix first 6 dressing ingredients together in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- 3Remove from heat then immediately add in the oil and white sugar; mix to combine until the sugar is completely dissolved, then pour the hot mixture over the veggies.
- 4Allow to sit out at room temperature for 1 hour stirring occasionally with a spoon.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours stirring occasionally, I just keep a spoon in the bowl and just mix every time I open the fridge.
- 6Season with freshly ground black pepper (if desired) before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Marinated Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.9
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 115.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 27.2 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: