1/7 Photos of Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian)
1 hr 15 mins
This is a basic simple marinara but big on flavor, it can be ready in 1 hour or you can cook it longer and even tastes better the next day that is why I strongly suggest to make this sauce 1-3 days ahead and refrigerate as the flavors will blend and intensify ---this freezes well so make a double recipe and freeze a batch for the next meal, you may omit the wine but I strongly suggest to add it in, it really adds flavor to the sauce --- please make certain to purchase only good-quality canned Italian Roma (plum) tomatoes for this it will make a huge difference to the flavor of the sauce --- all ingredients may be adjusted to suit taste, this sauce can also be simmered for a longer time in a crockpot, throw in some fresh mushrooms also if desired --- also see my Kittencal's Italian Tomato Pasta Sauce and Parmesan Meatballs
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil (I use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of my pot)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced (or to taste, the more the better I use 6 extra large cloves)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to taste)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (can use two cans for a thicker richer sauce if desired)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole roma tomatoes, undrained (break up with a fork before cooking, go ahead and use two cans if desired!)
- 1/3-1/2 cup dry red wine (you may omit if desired but good to add in, can use white wine)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, a good tomato sauce needs lots so don't be shy with the salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1In a heavy-bottomed stockpot or Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add in onions, garlic and dried red pepper flakes, basil and oregano; saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- 3Add in the tomato paste and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add in the Roma tomatoes with juice and wine; simmer uncovered over low heat for 1-2 hours (I usually cook it for at least a couple of hours) stirring occasionally.
- 5Season with salt and pepper and add in sugar if desired.
- 6**NOTE** if you prefer a thinner sauce, then add in some water.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Marinara Pasta Sauce (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.7
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 933.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 4.4 g