1/5 Photos of Kittencal's Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Preparing this ahead will save you tons of time in the kitchen, you may make them up to 3 days in advance, use only russet potatoes for this reds will not work the same, you may also add in 1/2 cup half and half cream or milk if desired, also the cheddar cheese is only optional if I am serving it to guests at my holiday table I most always omit and sprinkle a light dusting of paprika on top, or you may add it into the potato mixture if desired, and if you are serving a large crowd you may want to double and bake and serve in two pans ---------- don't wait to make this for the holidays, these are that good I think you will find yourself making them all the time!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (use only russet potatoes or use 10 medium)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened (can use 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (can use a little more)
- 1/2 cup butter (cut into cubes, can use more if desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground pepper (optional and to taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (to taste) (optional)
- 1Butter a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- 2Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling water with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon white vinegar until just fork-tender (do not cook the potatoes until very soft just until a fork goes easily into the potatoes all the way)drain and place in a large bowl.
- 3Using an electric mixer beat the hot potatoes until just semi smooth and still a little chunky (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this).
- 4Add in cream cheese, sour cream, butter, onion powder, salt and black pepper; mix until combined and smooth.
- 5Spread the mixture into prepared baking dish.
- 6If desired you may sprinkle the top lightly with paprika, then allow to come down to room temperature.
- 7Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- 8When ready to bake set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 9Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes or until hot.
- 10If desired sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top and return to oven to melt (about 3 minutes).
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.9
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 392.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g