Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a very simple recipe for candied yams but big on flavor, it's a must served along side of a Thanksgiving turkey or ham dinner ---the yams must be prebaked in oven *only* not boiled and just until fork tender do not bake until very soft and this may be done up to a day ahead --- this may be doubled and baked in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, prep time does not include prebaking the yams --- no pumpkin pie spice? just mix together 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon with 1/4 teaspoon *each* nutmeg and allspice and use in place of the pumpkin pie spice :)
- 4 lbs yams or 4 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, well packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (no subs!)
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven 400°F.
- Wrap each yam in foil then prick holes in each.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake until just fork tender (do not overbake) this should take anywhere from 1 to 1-1/2 hours depending on the size of the yams.
- Carefully remove the foil and allow the yams to cool completely (this may be done up to 1 day ahead).
- Using fingers remove the skins from yams.
- Slice into about 1-inch slices crosswise.
- For the topping; in a bowl combine the brown sugar, soft butter, nuts and pumpkin pie spice; using your fingers mix until crumbly.
- Butter a 9 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Layer half of the sliced yams into bottom of the dish, then sprinkle with half of topping.
- Layer the remaining yams on top then sprinkle the remaining half of the topping on top.
- Bake at 400°F until the topping melts and is bubbling (about 20 minutes).