Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This will bring any bottled pasta sauce to life! and is best if made 1-2 days in advance and refrigerated to ripen the flavors --- for ease I have listed canned mushrooms I strongly suggest to go the extra step and use sauteed fresh mushrooms in place of the canned -- the success of this recipe will highly depend on the quality of bottled pasta sauce that you use so use a good quality brand such as Classico etc.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to heat level)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 (26 ounce) jars marinara sauce (or use a meatless pasta sauce)
- 2 teaspoons salt (a good tomato sauce needs lots of salt to bring out the flavor)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- In a medium pot brown the ground beef with onion until no longer pink; drain all fat.
- Add in the garlic, chili flakes and drained mushrooms; cook stirring until the meat is browned (about 12 minutes, for best flavor the meat needs to be lightly browned).
- Mix in the Parmesan cheese (if using) then pasta sauce; bring to a simmer stirring over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 45 to 60 minutes or even longer, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar (if using) about halfway through cooking.
Kit where do you come up with all these wonderful recipes, this made my boring bottled pasta sauce sing with joy, this is such a wonderful idea, well I can't say I'm surprised this is a Kitten recipe, thank you kit!