1/22 Photos of Kittencal's Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Bread
3 hrs 25 mins
This is a bakery-quality bread that is on regular rotation at my house and has been so for many years it is one of my family's favorite breads, because of the addition of egg the rising time will be slightly longer than usual --- there is very little sugar and no butter or shortening in this bread which gives this bread a spongy-like texture, perfect for dipping! If you are a jalapeño lover then by all means add in as much jalapeño peppers as you desire, this bread does not require forming into a loaf shape just shape into two large balls which makes it an easy recipe for a beginner baker :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 cups flour (more as needed)
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped, and seeds removed (can use more jalapeno if desired)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature, let egg sit in hot water for about 5-7 minutes to warm)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (chopped into about 1/2-inch cubes or a little larger if desired)
- 1Prepare a heavy-duty stand mixer with a kneader blade.
- 2Proof yeast in water with 1 teaspoon sugar for 8-10 minutes, or until foamy.
- 3Heat milk in the microwave for about 50 seconds on HIGH.
- 4In the stainless steel bowl, add in 4 cups flour, chopped jalepenos, salt, sugar, egg, hot pepper sauce (if using) and warmed milk.
- 5After the yeast has proofed, add to the bowl and start kneading, adding in more flour as needed to create a soft smooth semi-sticky dough, keep kneading for about 8-10 minutes.
- 6Towards the end of the kneading add in the cubed cheddar cheese, and mix until combined (the dough can be removed from the bowl and you can add/mix in the cheese by hand if dresired).
- 7After the kneading, let the dough sit out on a board or counter top to rest, covered with a clean tea towel for 8-10 minutes.
- 8Gather up dough and knead gently for 30 seconds.
- 9Then place the dough in a well greased bowl, and let rise until doubled (about 1-1/2 hours or could take a little longer).
- 10Punch down dough and slice into two even pieces.
- 11Shape into two large balls, and place on a cookie/baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- 12Cover with a clean tea towel and rise again for another 1 hour or more until doubled.
- 13Brush tops with an egg white that has been mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water.
- 14Sprinkle on grated Parmesan cheese or sesame seeds.
- 15Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25-35 minutes or until the crust is a dark golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1639.3
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.7 g
- Saturated Fat 33.1 g
- Cholesterol 254.1 mg
- Sodium 3005.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 210.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 70.9 g