Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1440 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is the recipe I use for homemade vanilla it's easy to make and somewhat cheaper than the store bought --- plan ahead this needs to steep at least 2 months or even longer for a more stronger taste even 6 months would be better --- use as you would any commercial vanilla, the more vanilla beans that you use and the longer you let it sit for, the stronger the vanilla will be.
- Cut the vanilla beans in half lengthwise.
- Divide among two narrow bottles that hold about 1 cup each.
- Vanilla beans may be cut crosswise, if necessary to fit.
- Add the vodka to cover (1 cup in each bottle).
- Let sit for at least 2 months before using (the longer the better even 6 months would be the best).
- ***NOTE*** You can use as many vanilla beans as you wish, they are quite expensive, so I use up to 6 and just let sit for a longer period of time for a more stronger vanilla taste, but you may certainly add in 20 if you wish, but the cost is expensive.
- Remember, the longer the sitting time, the stronger the vanilla!
This is an awesome recipe, but next time I will definitely use vodka. I had some Black Velvet Whiskey that nobody was drinking so decided to use that. The whiskey is much too strong a flavor. Now finally after thee months, the vanilla flavor is getting stronger than the whiskey. Thanks Kittencal for another great recipe.
Wow this is so great, I used 12 beans in a 26 oz bottle and let it sit for 6 months, it's fabulous. I've already started a 2nd batch, I just don't want to run out as I keep giving it away. Thanks Again
I am using this same recipe to make vanilla and give as a xmas gift in small 4 ounce bottles. I have been letting it sit for over 6 months. I'll give it stars once I taste the final product. It's a good affordable gift!