Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is easy and so delicious, and best thing about this casserole it will be already prepared and ready to bake when your company arrives! --- you may increase the bread and eggs slightly, for each slice of bread increase 1 egg, example 8 eggs, 8 slices bread
- 1 lb bulk italian sausage meat (mild or spicy)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use milk)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (can use 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard)
- 6 slices day-old bread (toasted in the toaster then cut into cubes)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (more to sprinkle on top after baking if desired)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt (optional and to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cook the sausage meat with onion in a skillet until browned; drain fat.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with cream or milk and mustard; add in the cooked sausage meat, toasted bread cubes and shredded cheese, toss until combined.
- Season the mixture with fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F (oven rack set to lowest position).
- Remove plastic wrap and cover the dish with foil.
- Bake (350 degrees F) for 1 hour.
- Reduce to 325 degrees F uncover and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until set.
- If desired sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese over the top after baking (this is only optional).