Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is easy and so delicious, and best thing about this casserole it will be already prepared and ready to bake when your company arrives! --- you may increase the bread and eggs slightly, for each slice of bread increase 1 egg, example 8 eggs, 8 slices bread
- 1 lb bulk italian sausage meat (mild or spicy)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use milk)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (can use 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard)
- 6 slices day-old bread (toasted in the toaster then cut into cubes)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (more to sprinkle on top after baking if desired)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt (optional and to taste)
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cook the sausage meat with onion in a skillet until browned; drain fat.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs with cream or milk and mustard; add in the cooked sausage meat, toasted bread cubes and shredded cheese, toss until combined.
- Season the mixture with fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F (oven rack set to lowest position).
- Remove plastic wrap and cover the dish with foil.
- Bake (350 degrees F) for 1 hour.
- Reduce to 325 degrees F uncover and continue to bake for another 30 minutes or until set.
- If desired sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese over the top after baking (this is only optional).
My husband loved this recipe, it was good!
Yummy! I loved the fact that I could make this the night before and pop it in the oven. It puffed beautifully and was delicious!
Made this for the Tag game in Kittencals Blog site exactly as the recipe was given. Mmmmmm good, saving this recipe to make again and again. As usual Kitz had come up with another spectacular recipe, Thank you for this yummy brunch dish.