Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Since I make this for dinner parties this is a double recipe, if you are serving a very large dinner party you might want to double and serve it in two bowls, or you may reduce by half if desired, the mustard powder is only optional I always like to add in for an extra kick, 1 teaspoon onion powder is also great to add also --- this makes a wonderful addition to a holiday dinner :)
- Drain the canned beets and reserve 2/3 cup of the juice.
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and mustard powder (if using).
- Add in 2/3 cup beet juice and vinegar; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until simmering and thickened.
- Mix in the butter until melted, then add/mix in the sliced beets.
- Season with black pepper.
This recipe was wonderful! I'm the only one in my family who eats beets and I usually just eat them out of the can! I cut the recipe down to one serving, which was perfect for one can of beets. This is very easy to put together and the flavors blend beautifully. Thanks Kitten, for a great recipe that made me feel like I was spoiling myself, for a change.
Outstanding and delicious just like all of your recipes. Thanks for posting.
Thanks Kitten! Your recipes are always great!
I have not been able to find Harvard beets in any of the local chain grocery stores for awhile now. But, had a craving for them today, so of course, checked out Food.com.
I was delighted on the taste and how simple your recipe is to make Harvard beets are to make! I made a big batch (on faith) and will have the extras tomorrow.