Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Since I make this for dinner parties this is a double recipe, if you are serving a very large dinner party you might want to double and serve it in two bowls, or you may reduce by half if desired, the mustard powder is only optional I always like to add in for an extra kick, 1 teaspoon onion powder is also great to add also --- this makes a wonderful addition to a holiday dinner :)
Top Review by Deely
This recipe was wonderful! I'm the only one in my family who eats beets and I usually just eat them out of the can! I cut the recipe down to one serving, which was perfect for one can of beets. This is very easy to put together and the flavors blend beautifully. Thanks Kitten, for a great recipe that made me feel like I was spoiling myself, for a change.
- 2 (20 ounce) canssliced beets (drain and reserve 2/3 cup the juice)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse black pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the canned beets and reserve 2/3 cup of the juice.
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and mustard powder (if using).
- Add in 2/3 cup beet juice and vinegar; bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until simmering and thickened.
- Mix in the butter until melted, then add/mix in the sliced beets.
- Season with black pepper.