Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have listed the water as optional if you are using a thick rich prepared pasta sauce then add it in, adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level, for ease --- for ease I have canned mushrooms listed you may of coarse use fresh sauteed if desired.
- 8 ounces dry pasta (or use half of a 500 gram package, use penne or ziti pasta)
- 1 lb ground beef (or use 1/2 pound each ground beef and bulk Italian sausage)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or adjust to taste)
- 4 1⁄2 cups prepared pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium pot cook the ground beef with onion until no longer pink; drain all fat.
- Add in garlic and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add in 4-1/2 cups prepared pasta sauce and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes stirring occasionally (if you find that the sauce is too thick add in water and continue cooking for another 20 minutes).
- Season with more salt if desired and black pepper about halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile in a large pot cook the pasta in boiling water until about halfway cooked, leave fairly firm do not cook until soft as the pasta will cook more in the oven) drain and place into a large bowl.
- Add in the meat sauce, two cans drained mushrooms and 2 cups mozzarella cheese; mix until well combined.
- Spread into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 35-40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup (or more) mozzarella cheese and return to oven uncovered for another 3-4 minutes.
This actually took me and hour and half to prepare so time to make should be amended somewhat. Simmering the sauce alone is 45 mins. leaving only 10 to complete the rest of the recipe? The results were pretty good but it made so much that we had a lot of leftovers. I'll probably do this one again but will cut the recipe way back to serve only two of us. Thanks Kitten, as always your recipes are top notch.
I'm assuming the oven temperature should be at 350 degrees. Easy to make since I had a jar of marinara sauce. I added fresh mushrooms while cooking the beef,onions and garlic. Cut down on the cheese a bit to cut down on the calories. Quick, satisfying meal. Thanks!
Wow!!! What an easy and fabulous tasting dish, great comfort food. Made as posted and baked for 35 minutes @ 375 F. Came out nice and bubbly. Thanks for another wonderful pasta meal. *Made for Kittencal Cook-A-Thon*