This goes back years and has remained a family favorite --- you may adjust the amounts to suit your taste and the recipe may be doubled :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (I use a garlic flavored broth for this) or 1 1⁄2 cups water (I use a garlic flavored broth for this)
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup small ripe olives, halved
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, well drained (garbonzo beans)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- Bring the 1-1/2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in the couscous and oregano, remove from heat; cover, and let stand 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Combine the couscous with tomatoes and the next 5 ingredients (tomatoes through chickpeas) in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup water with the remaining ingredients; stir well with a whisk.
- Pour over the couscous mixture, tossing gently to coat.
- Season with black pepper and salt.
This is awesome! I thought I had the olives and feta but found out last minute I did not. I added some capers instead and it turned out delicious. I will definitely be making this often. Thanks for posting!
This was excellent. I omitted the olives because we don't like them and it was still great!
This was incredible! Great side, great warm or cold. Went very well with Cedar Plank Salmon with Lemon-Dill topping (#174649). Thanks for sharing.