Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a recipe I developed years ago, a small amount of baking powder is what makes this recipe special! it's a family favorite and takes very little time to throw together, I sometimes just bake the complete recipe in a 10-inch round cake pan, but two smaller pans will do fine also, you will *love* this!:)
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
HOLY smokes is this tasty. I made breakfast for dinner..... this would be great for brunch, bfast, lunch dinner and all snacks in between! It should have it's own place on the food pyramid! Be sure to slice the apples thin so they cook all the way thru. I did and they were the perfect texture. One other note, I think the serving size is wrong, I could eat one by myself.. and almost did! ;^P To serve I inverted on a plated and inverted again on a warmed plate for serving. I think I'm gonna sneak back for another slice. Oh, and the rest of the family loved it too... the kids gobbled it up! Thanks for another killer recipe Kitten!
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided (one more tablespoon butter won't hurt)
- 4 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk (or use half and half cream)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional or to taste)
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (can use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Place 2 Tbsp butter in each of the pans.
- Place the pans in the oven and bake until the butter has melted; remove from oven.
- In a bowl, beat the flour, 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, sugar (if using) salt, milk and eggs until smooth, then allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Arrange the apple slices into the two pans onto the melted butter.
- Re-whisk the flour/egg mixture again then divide the batter evenly between pans, over the apple slices.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the batter in each pan.
- Bake until puffed, and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.