Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have made this for years, it's just total comfort food that is filling and just plain good, you may reduce the butter amount if desired if you are watching your fat intake ---it has very few ingredients but makes a really great side dish you can even throw in some dryed smoked sausage if you like --- prep time includes boiling potatoes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small squares
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 lb savoy cabbage, corded and sliced thinly
- seasoning salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (can use more or less)
- Cook the potatoes until tender; drain well.
- Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, the saute the cabbage, seasoning with salt and pepper until tender (about 10-15 minutes, might take longer).
- Add in cooked potatoes, mashing and stirring them into the cabbage while leaving some lumps remaining, then pressing the cabbage and potatoes to form a cake; cook without stirring until the underneath is crusty and golden brown (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Easy side dish to go with country style ribs. Used half a cabbage, about 1/4 cup sliced onion, and a couple unpeeled medium size white potatoes for two people. Not much left over. Some crumbled bacon or small ham cubes would be nice additions. Would be easy to experiment with seasonings such as southwestern or Cajun if desired.
I finally made this! It is amazing! I am having a hard time resisting eating the whole pan... I used regular green cabbage and russet potatoes with the peels left on. The simple seasoning of seasoning salt and lots of pepper complimented the dish beautifully. I didn't even need the parmesan cheese but I'm sure it would be good added to it. I like the idea linpo had to serve with an egg. I plan to eat this for breakfast and it would make a nice side dish as well.
Loved it! Loved it! I added hamburger and sauteed onions and some jalepenos to spice it up as a main dish. I also went the pathe of using a little oil instead of butter ( I hate the taste of butter myself).It is very easy to prepare as well.