This makes a wonderful side dish to pork or beef, you may omit the chili flakes if desired or adjust amount to suit taste
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 6 cups cabbage, cut into thin wedges (1 small head cabbage)
- 3 -4 tablespoons chicken broth (or use water)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (or use white sugar, or to taste)
- seasoned salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste, or use white salt)
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the chopped bacon until crisp and browned; remove to a bowl or plate and set aside (do not drain the bacon fat).
- Add in onion; cook stirring until softened (about 4-5 minutes, adding in the garlic and chili flakes the last 2 minutes).
- Add in cabbage and broth or water and sugar; cook stirring until the cabbage wilts (about 12-15 minutes) season with salt and pepper towards the end of cooking.
- Stir in the cooked bacon.