Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This makes a wonderful side dish to pork or beef, you may omit the chili flakes if desired or adjust amount to suit taste
Top Review by For JT's Grandma
Just one more fantastic recipe from Kittencal! I didn't have bacon so used some ham chips and butter instead. Had to leave out the pepper flakes cuz DH isn't crazy about them. Used water and brown sugar, but not as much sugar as it called for. Oh My Goodness - this is by far, the best cabbage I have ever cooked! Have another head of cabbage, going to try Kittencal's sausage n cabbage recipe later this week. Yum Carol - you out do yourself every time! Thanks!
Update 10/7/12 - cool fall day perfect for this recipe again! Used ham chips again but did have some bacon grease. Added some slice up polish sausage while onions were cooking, then removed them and added back just as cabbage was finishing up. OMGoodness - hubby can't get enough! Thanks Carol!!!
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 6 cups cabbage, cut into thin wedges (1 small head cabbage)
- 3 -4 tablespoons chicken broth (or use water)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (or use white sugar, or to taste)
- seasoned salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste, or use white salt)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the chopped bacon until crisp and browned; remove to a bowl or plate and set aside (do not drain the bacon fat).
- Add in onion; cook stirring until softened (about 4-5 minutes, adding in the garlic and chili flakes the last 2 minutes).
- Add in cabbage and broth or water and sugar; cook stirring until the cabbage wilts (about 12-15 minutes) season with salt and pepper towards the end of cooking.
- Stir in the cooked bacon.