Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This makes the best fried bologna sandwich, I think it's the buttered grilled buns that really add to the flavor! My DS loves this with a couple slices of dill pickles and chips. I like to sprinkle some garlic powder on top of the slices after spreading with butter, and before browning, but that is only optional.
- Slice each of the buns in half, then spread each side with about 2 teaspoons butter (can use more).
- Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray or melt 1-2 tablespoons butter in the skillet until melted.
- Place the buns on the skillet buttered side down; leave untouched in the skillet for 1-2 minutes or until browned; remove to a plate and spread brown mustard on one or both sides of the buns (over the butter).
- Fry the bologna slices in the same skillet with a slit cut in the middle to prevent it from curling while frying turning once after it had developed that slighty burnt crispy coating on one side.
- Turn the slices over and place a slice (or two) of Swiss cheese on top, then continue to cook until the underneath part is browned and the cheese on top has melted; remove from skillet or griddle, then place the slices of cooked bologna onto each bun the top with onion slices then cover with the top part of bun.
My hubby is rating this one. He loves Fried Bologna Sandwiches. He has been making these for at least 40 years. In all that time he has never put cheese on them but will try it next time. I can't believe that this sandwich is posted. I always thought it was his signature sandwich, but I guess I was wrong (smile). Kittencal, you made my day when I saw this. Thanks for the smile.
I like bologna and this sandwich was a pretty goodon. My husband usually doesn't eat bologna but he said this was good. He even ate it with the brown mustard on it. Made for tag a thon. Thanks Kittencal. Bullwinkle
Kitten, I love it!! I used american cheese and added lettuce and tomato. I have never had fried bologna before and it was great! Thanks again for a keeper!!!!