Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Except for the addition of the whipping cream which is only optional there is very little fat content in this soup --- you may also make this using frozen peas and chicken broth may be used in place of vegetable broth, this makes a wonderful soup with beautiful colour, if you are a garlic lover then increase to 2 tablespoons :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I prefer the butter) or 2 tablespoons butter (I prefer the butter)
- 1⁄3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups fresh shelled peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I used seasoned salt)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream (optional or adjust to suit taste)
- crouton (optional)
- In a saucepan heat the oil or butter over medium heat; add in the onion and cook stirring until softened (about 3 minutes).
- Add in the garlic and crushed chili flakes; cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and the peas; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add in salt and pepper; simmer for about 18-20 minutes or until the peas are tender.
- Using a blender or food processor puree the mixture in batches (can use a hand blender).
- Pour back into the saucepan over a strainer.
- OPTIONAL; if you are adding in the whipping cream add in at this point starting with 1 tablespoon and then reheat.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls then top with croutons.
what a wonderful way to use up fresh garden peas, Kit this is just as delicious cold I have made it twice hot and cold we loved both ways, another Kitten winner.
This was delicious! So simple and easy and the taste was wonderful. The only thing I left out was the cream. It tasted creamy and buttery without the cream or butter (used olive oil). Great recipe!