1/12 Photos of Kittencal's French Bread/Baguette (Kitchen Aid Mixer Stand Mixer
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe will make two loaves of the *best* French bread you will ever have, I have been making this for years with perfect results every time, sometimes it is not the ingredients used but the method used that will make for perfect results, this is my way to a create the perfect French bread! --- you will need some cornmeal for the pan and an egg white for brushing on the top of the loaves, also about 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds --- make certain to have the two separated cups of water at the right temperature or your bread will not turn out properly, two .25-ounce packages of yeast will be fine for this recipe --- NOTE use 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon of active dry yeast OR 2 small packages/envelopes of active dry yeast
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups warm water, divided (110 degrees F)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (or use two .25-ounce packages yeast)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 1/2-6 1/2 cups bread flour (more if needed)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil (or use Canola oil, DO NOT substitute butter or shortening for the oil it will affect the texture)
- 1Attach the dough hook to heavy duty stand mixer.
- 2In a small cup or bowl mix 1 teaspoon sugar into 1 cup warm water until combined.
- 3Stir in 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast and mix gently.
- 4Cover the cup and allow to proof until foamy (about 8 minutes, if the yeast does not foam discard and make again).
- 5Place 5-1/2 cups flour in the stainless steel mixing bowl along with the salt, sugar and 5 tablespoons oil.
- 6After the yeast has proofed add to the bowl along with remaining 1 cup warm water.
- 7Start kneading process adding in more flour a tablespoon at a time as needed to create a soft smooth semi-sticky dough (kneading should take about 8 minutes).
- 8Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface; cover with a clean tea towel and let rest for 3 minutes (this is important, allow to sit for 3 minutes).
- 9Oil a large deep bowl.
- 10Gather up the dough and gently knead into a ball (the dough will come together easily after resting).
- 11Place the dough into the bowl, then cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled.
- 12Punch down the dough and remove to a lightly floured surface.
- 13Divide the dough evenly in half.
- 14Cover both pieces of dough and allow to rest for 5 minutes (this will make shaping the dough easier).
- 15Roll each dough into about a 9 x 12-inch rectangle, then roll up jelly-roll fashion starting at long edge.
- 16Seal edges and seam of each loaf.
- 17Grease a large jelly-roll pan then sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons cornmeal.
- 18Place the two long shaped loaves onto the pan seam-side down spacing apart.
- 19Using a razor blade or a small sharp knife slash each loaf 3 times diagonally.
- 20In a small cup whisk an egg white then brush over each loaf.
- 21Sprinkle the tops with about 2 teaspoons seasme seeds for each loaf.
- 22Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- 23Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 24Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's French Bread/Baguette (Kitchen Aid Mixer Stand Mixer
Serving Size: 1 (1279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1607.0
- Calories from Fat 341
- Total Fat 37.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3505.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 273.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 38.3 g