Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You won't even be able to tell these are fat free! ---1 cup fresh blueberries or 3/4 cup light raisins may mixed in with the flour mixture and you may reduce the flour 2 tablespoons and add in 2 tablespoons flax --- with the addition of blueberries you will yield 12 muffins
Top Review by UkrainianGirl
The muffins came out tasty, but do not forget that these are the BRAN muffins.
They are moist inside and not too sweet (I will add more raisins next time). However I found them kind of doughy. It is my second recipe with bran and wheat flour. And this is the second time I notice this doughy texture in my baking. So, I guess it is a common thing if you deal with bran and wheat flour.
What I would recommend is to add walnuts (or other nuts) to the batter. I put 2 pieces of walnut halves in each muffin and I would definitely put more next time. In my opinion it adds crunchiness and texture which balances doughy taste.
It took me exactly 22 minutes and I got exactly 12 beautiful muffins.
It is simple and HEALTHY recipe. Thanks!
- 354.88 ml wheat bran
- 177.44 ml nonfat milk
- 88.74 ml plain fat-free yogurt (or can use fat-free blueberry or vanilla flavored yogurt)
- 118.29 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 177.44 ml brown sugar (if you prefer a sweeter muffin use 3/4 cup if not you may reduce slightly)
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder (not scant, use a good teaspoon of baking powder)
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46-4.92 ml cinnamon (optional I like to add it in)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Generously coat 10 regular-size muffin tins with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a small bowl mix the wheat bran with milk and yogurt; allow to stand for 12-15 minutes, stirring a few times.
- In a large bowl whisk the applesauce with egg, brown sugar and vanilla; mix in the bran mixture until thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl combine the flour with baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (then if using mix in the blueberries) add the bran mixture to the dry mixture; using a small spatula fold gently just until combined (fold gently).
- Scoop into muffin tins filling almost full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until muffins test done (these won't take long to bake so watch closely).