Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Be prepared for the best Greek salad on the planet! --- plan ahead the dressing needs at least 2 or more hours to blend the flavors, I sometimes add in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to the dressing for a more cheesy dressing, all amounts may be adjusted to taste ---- to marinade the salad allow to sit at room temperature before serving, see bottom of instructions --- you will find this and many more of my recipes posted here http://kittencalskitchen.com/2009/04/13/kittens-famous-greek-salad/ ---also see my Kittencal's Creamy Greek Feta Salad Dressing
Top Review by DNRBlueliner
Kittencal, I absolutely appreciate your recipes. You definitely know what you're doing and have good taste and instincts when it comes to food. One thing I'd suggest for your Greek Salad is to let your chopped tomatoes, onions, cukes, and peppers, spend a few hours bathed in the dressing in the fridge, tossing periodically. Then introduce those much more flavourabe veggies to the lettuce, feta, and olives when serving. Thanks for being an ever trusted recipe resource. Cheers,
- 1 cup olive oil (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
- 1 extra large lemon, juice of (can use 2 lemons ( make certain that the lemon is at room temperature before squeezing)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried oregano (start with 2 teaspoons)
- 3 teaspoons fresh minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 large romaine lettuce, chopped (or use 2 small)
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes, cut in wedges (use Roma tomatoes)
- 1 English cucumber (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 red onion, cut in slices
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and cut into rings or sliced) (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled (or to taste)
- 1 cup kalamata olive
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dressing; in a processor or use a wire whisk process/whisk the olive oil with lemon juice, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, garlic, dried, basil, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar until smooth (add in more oregano and lemon juice if needed).
- Season with black pepper.
- Chill in fridge for a couple of hours before using to blend flavors.
- Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over; toss to combine.
- If desired allow the salad to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving, or you can refrigerate for 1 hour (tossing a few time during sitting time).