Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is the most delicious coleslaw that you will ever have! I make this for weddings, large socials and in the summer for BBQ's and parties, and there is never anything left it all goes and everyone wants the recipe --- plan ahead the coleslaw needs to be refrigerated for the stated time to blend the flavors, this coleslaw will intensify in flavor with chilling time --- this is not a thick heavy dressing like some other coleslaw recipes it's the perfect texture and flavor and what makes this coleslaw stand out from all others is the fresh lemon juice so please use only fresh I have used bottled in the past and it is just not the same --- the dressing amount will yield enough for two 16-ounce packages prepared coleslaw mix or 1 head of green cabbage --- for one 16-ounce package prepared coleslaw mix use the dressing amounts posted on bottom of recipe and add in 3 or more large of chopped green onions. For more Kittencal's recipes, visit my recipe site www.recipezazz.com
- 1 head green cabbage (8-10 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded (hand-squeeze out any excess moisture completely)
- 2 -4 green onions (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds (optional, or to taste)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is best, do not use salad dressing)
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk (light cream even better)
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk (or yogurt is a great sub)
- 2 -3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (use fresh only not bottled)
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- In a food processor chop the cabbage into small pieces (should look like about the size of confetti) or shred the cabbage.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- With a fine shredder, shred the peeled carrots; add to the cabbage in the bowl.
- Chop the green onion finely; add to the cabbage/carrot mixture along with the celery seed.
- Mix the three veggies all together with a wooden spoon.
- To make the dressing: in a medium glass bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients starting with the lower amounts then adding in and adjusting to suit taste but using 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Pour over the veggies in the bowl, and mix well to combine.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight (overnight is better) to blend flavors.
- FOR ONE 16-OUNCE PACKAGE COLESLAW MIX use the following amounts; 1/2 cup mayonnaise/ 2-1/2 tablespoons milk/ 2-1/2 tablespoons buttermilk/ 1-1/2 tablespoons vinegar/ 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice/ 3-1/2 tablespoons sugar/ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder/ 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste.
I had to make this recipe with my mom(I am 11) for a horse rescue program I work with. They were having "EAT WITH YOUR HORSE DAY." We made this for everyone and they loved it!
This is excellent, and well it should be, 'cause the dressing (with the exception of the garlic powder) is the same as the KFC copycat coleslaw. My favorite.
I had never made coleslaw before and knew Kittencal was the go-to recipe! I got TONS of compliments on this and someone told me it was better than a certain local restaurant coleslaw that they loved. I wanted a creamy coleslaw because I was also serving bbq pork sandwiches and I threw it right on top. MAN was it so good. It's my go-to recipe and what I'll always make! (I did use the bagged claw instead of cutting my own because I do love my shortcuts). Thanks Kittencal!