1/6 Photos of Kittencal's Famous Coleslaw
This is the most delicious coleslaw that you will ever have! I make this for weddings, large socials and in the summer for BBQ's and parties, and there is never anything left it all goes and everyone wants the recipe --- plan ahead the coleslaw needs to be refrigerated for the stated time to blend the flavors, this coleslaw will intensify in flavor with chilling time --- this is not a thick heavy dressing like some other coleslaw recipes it's the perfect texture and flavor and what makes this coleslaw stand out from all others is the fresh lemon juice so please use only fresh I have used bottled in the past and it is just not the same --- the dressing amount will yield enough for two 16-ounce packages prepared coleslaw mix or 1 head of green cabbage --- for one 16-ounce package prepared coleslaw mix use the dressing amounts posted on bottom of recipe and add in 3 or more large of chopped green onions. For more Kittencal's recipes, check out my food blog www.kittencalskitchen.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head green cabbage (8-10 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded (hand-squeeze out any excess moisture completely)
- 2 -4 green onions (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds (optional, or to taste)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's is best, do not use salad dressing)
- 1/3 cup milk (light cream even better)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 -3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (use fresh only not bottled)
- 1/3 cup white sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1In a food processor chop the cabbage into small pieces (should look like about the size of confetti) or shred the cabbage.
- 2Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- 3With a fine shredder, shred the peeled carrots; add to the cabbage in the bowl.
- 4Chop the green onion finely; add to the cabbage/carrot mixture along with the celery seed.
- 5Mix the three veggies all together with a wooden spoon.
- 6To make the dressing: in a medium glass bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients starting with the lower amounts then adding in and adjusting to suit taste but using 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar.
- 7Pour over the veggies in the bowl, and mix well to combine.
- 8Store covered in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight (overnight is better) to blend flavors.
- 9FOR ONE 16-OUNCE PACKAGE COLESLAW MIX use the following amounts; 1/2 cup mayonnaise/ 2-1/2 tablespoons milk/ 2-1/2 tablespoons buttermilk/ 1-1/2 tablespoons vinegar/ 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice/ 3-1/2 tablespoons sugar/ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder/ 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste.
Browse Our Top Summer Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Summer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Famous Coleslaw
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.7
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.4 mg
- Sodium 253.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 18.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: