1/2 Photos of Kittencal's Famous Barbecue Sauce for Chicken and Ribs
1 hr 5 mins
This is the best barbecue sauce, and trust me I have experimented with hundreds of different combinations over the years, this is even better than any of the popular bottled sauces! ---plan ahead this sauce must be made one day in advance to allow the flavors to blend and intensify, don't even think about using it the same day it is made, this sauce will take on a whole different flavor when simmered for 1 hour and left overnight in the fridge--- the ingredients can easily be doubled but keep the garlic amount no more than 2 tablespoons, and for the best flavor use only Heinz ketchup and a good quality brand of yellow mustard, I use French's mustard it really will make a difference in the taste, please do not omit the liquid smoke --- yield is only estimated as the sauce will reduce after simmering for 1 hour or more ---*NOTE* for a smoother low fat sauce omit the oil, onion and fresh garlic, then in the saucepan mix all remaining ingredients together and add in 1 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder then simmer for 1 hour -----you will love this sauce!
My Private Note
cups (a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced garlic (can use more)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (do not use the fine black pepper!)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (or adjust to taste)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar or 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup prepared french's yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons liquid smoke (for the very best flavor do not omit)
- 1Heat oil over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 3 minutes, then add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- 2Add in chili powder, paprika, cayenne, salt and black pepper; stir for 1 minute.
- 3Add in all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil stirring with a wooden spoon to combine.
- 4Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 1 hour over low heat (do not cover the pot or the texture and flavor will be affected, if you have a splatter screen then use it to cover the pot).
- 5Cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or more before using.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Famous Barbecue Sauce for Chicken and Ribs
Serving Size: 1 (1123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 805.7
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3367.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 151.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 134.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g