Prep 24 hrs
Cook 6 mins
The secret ingredient for extra crispy fries is the sugar water, plan ahead the potatoes must be refrigerated in the sugar water overnight
- water (about 4 quarts water)
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 6 large red potatoes (cut into 1/4 to 1/3-inch strips)
- canola oil (or use vegetable oil, use enough oil to cover potatoes completely)
- seasoning salt
- In an extra large bowl dissolve the sugar completely in the water (the sugar must be completely dissolved).
- Add in the potato strips and refrigerate overnight.
- The following day drain well then pat the strips dry using paper towels.
- In a large heavy pot or deep-fryer heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully add potatoes in 2-3 batches and cook in hot oil for about 6 minutes or until golden brown (do not cook all the potatoes in one batch).
- Remove the fries using a large slotted spoon or long tongs and immediately season with seasoned salt or white salt while still hot.
- *NOTE* save the cooled oil in a jar at room temperature for the next time you make these.
I made this recipe on 4/2/11 to go with Homestyle Fried Fish Fillets. And except for cutting the recipe in half everything was followed as it was written.I guess the oil didn't get hot enough because the fries weren't that crispy. We did however enjoy the taste. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
This worked magically! I only had 5 hours to soak the potato strips in sugar water, but they didn't absorb any oil on either frying! They were crisp and perfect! I thought I had cut the strips too big, but they were the perfect size after frying twice. Fried in peanut oil and they had the BEST flavor! My boys LOVED them! Thanks for another winner!
The method of sugar soaking was fabulous! I always made home made fries but you made them even better. Thanks for posting