You won't find this recipe anywhere else, it's my own creation! I have even made this recipe using left over cooked beef or cooked cubed chicken breast, it is delicious! This recipe may be cut in half to serve just 4. Also 1 large onion may be added. Prep time includes shaping meatballs and chopping veggies. My Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs works great with this recipe!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- oil (for frying)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained and reserve juice
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar (can use less)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (250 ml) jar Russian salad dressing (I use Kraft)
- 1 (350 ml) jar sweet and sour sauce (can be homemade)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pepper (optional)
- sugar, if needed
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers (sliced or coarsley chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water (optional)
- Prepare the ground beef into meatballs using your favorite recipe for meatballs, and shape into about 1-inch balls.
- Heat oil in a skillet, and brown the meatballs until no longer pink (you can also bake them in the oven) set aside.
- Drain the 2 cans of pineapple tidbits; set pineapple tidbits aside.
- If needed, add water to the juice to measure 2 cups, and place in a large saucepan (if the juice from the cans measures more than 2 cups add in all the juice with no water).
- To the juice/water mixture, stir in vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce, garlic, salad dressing, sweet and sour sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer (adding more brown sugar (or white sugar) to taste if desired.
- When the sauce is to desired taste, add in the cooked meatballs and carrots.
- Simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Stir in green pepper, and reserved pineapple tidbits; cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes longer, or until green pepper is crisp-tender (do not over cook the peppers!).
- This step is only optional if you prefer a thicker sauce, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and water until smooth, and stir into the meatball mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook, stirring for about 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve over rice.
My husband & I have decided we love you. I am the queen of thinking I need to fiddle with a recipe. When I make one that you have posted I know not to mess with it, it will be perfect the way it is. I used cooked chicken but changed nothing else (you did say we could use this with chicken so that does not count as a change :) So very good! Makes a ton so I am going to try to freeze some. Thanks again for a terrific recipe.
Kitten....another 5 stars on this. I had forgotten that I made up a big batch of this to use with the usual 2 gallon bags(in my freezer) of your dilicious meatballs "Melt in your Mouth Parmesan". This is very simple, and as I am NOT the greatest fan of marinara sauce, things like this recipe come in very handy for me. I do eat marinara, but about twice a year is sufficient. Thanks for yet another way to serve up your already "highly acclaimed" meatballs!
Really delicious. It made so much I froze some, reheated it later and it was so good. It froze beautifully.