1/1 Photo of Kittencal's Easy Sweet and Sour Pineapple Meatballs
You won't find this recipe anywhere else, it's my own creation! I have even made this recipe using left over cooked beef or cooked cubed chicken breast, it is delicious! This recipe may be cut in half to serve just 4. Also 1 large onion may be added. Prep time includes shaping meatballs and chopping veggies. My Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs works great with this recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- oil (for frying)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained and reserve juice
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar (can use less)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (250 ml) jar Russian salad dressing (I use Kraft)
- 1 (350 ml) jar sweet and sour sauce (can be homemade)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper (optional)
- sugar, if needed
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers (sliced or coarsley chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 1/4 cup cold water (optional)
- 1Prepare the ground beef into meatballs using your favorite recipe for meatballs, and shape into about 1-inch balls.
- 2Heat oil in a skillet, and brown the meatballs until no longer pink (you can also bake them in the oven) set aside.
- 3Drain the 2 cans of pineapple tidbits; set pineapple tidbits aside.
- 4If needed, add water to the juice to measure 2 cups, and place in a large saucepan (if the juice from the cans measures more than 2 cups add in all the juice with no water).
- 5To the juice/water mixture, stir in vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce, garlic, salad dressing, sweet and sour sauce, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer (adding more brown sugar (or white sugar) to taste if desired.
- 6When the sauce is to desired taste, add in the cooked meatballs and carrots.
- 7Simmer for about 25-30 minutes, or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- 8Stir in green pepper, and reserved pineapple tidbits; cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes longer, or until green pepper is crisp-tender (do not over cook the peppers!).
- 9This step is only optional if you prefer a thicker sauce, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and water until smooth, and stir into the meatball mixture.
- 10Bring to a boil; cook, stirring for about 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- 11Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Easy Sweet and Sour Pineapple Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 710.4
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 1618.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 70.8 g
- Protein 33.8 g