Prep 24 mins
Cook 12 mins
You may reduce the amount of rhubarb and add in fresh strawberries if desired, try adding in different flavors of gelatin too! Plan ahead the fruit/sugar mixture needs to stand overnight before cooking, if you prefer a sweet jam use the 3 cups sugar... your going to love this jam!
- 5 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (or use half rhubarb and fresh strawberries)
- 2 3⁄4-3 cups white sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin (for the best results use Jello brand gelatin for this)
- In a large saucepan stir together the fresh rhubarb with the sugar; cover with a lid and let stand 24 hours.
- After the 24 hours bring the rhurbarb and sugar to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and boil stirring constantly for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in the gelatin powder until completely combined.
- Transfer to sterilized glass jars and refrigerate.
I have made a similar recipe for years but decided to try this one because it used a lot less sugar. It turned out great, easy to make and the family loves it. This will become the recipe I use from now on.
great flavor and simple to prepare. Again, a little freshly grated lemon zest, to bring out all the wonderful flavor! Thanks!
I used just rhubarb with strawberry jello. So fast and easy to make. YUM! Made for 2012 Zaar Cookbook Tag.