Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Considering how easy this is to make, it makes a great strawberry jam, good on waffles, pancakes and for a cheesecake topping! It will keep in the refrigerator covered for up to 2 weeks.
- 1 lb fresh ripe strawberry, trimmed and halved (use only red ripe berries)
- 2⁄3-1 cup sugar (I found that 2/3 cup was enough sugar for me)
- 2 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- red food coloring (optional)
- In a bowl mash the strawberries using a potato masher or fork.
- In a large skillet stir together the mashed berries, sugar, pectin and lemon juice (starting with 2/3 cup sugar and adding in more desired I found that 2/3 cup plenty for me!) boil until slightly thickened about 5 minutes, add in a couple drops of red food colouring if needed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl to cool.
- Store tightly covered in a glass jar in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This was my first experience making jam. I can't believe how easy it was! Thanks so much.
This is so good. My hubby really likes it too. I can't waite to give some away as gifts. I made it just as the recipe stated, and with only 2/3 cup of sugar. I think that is about right, not too sweet. I didn't have the fresh lemon juice, ( forgot to buy it).
So easy to make & such a great tasting jam, too! Made it according to the recipe, using the 2/3 cup of sugar & must say, I probably won't be looking at store-bought strawberry jam again, not with something this easy to make! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook tag]