Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe goes back over 20 years, I like the simplicity of this recipe and for a one bowl cupcake they are pretty darn good, 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract may be used in place of the vanilla, using butter in place of shortening will alter the texture it is best to only use shortening --- if you don't have paper liners grease the tins generously or see my Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!)
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml sugar (can use 1-1/4 cup for a less sweeter taste ,or can use 3/4 cup Splenda)
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml shortening (very soft but not melted, Crisco is best)
- 177.44 ml milk (or half and half cream)
- 14.79 ml vanilla (or use 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract)
- 2 large eggs
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour with sugar, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Add in the shortening cream or milk, vanilla and eggs; beat on medium speed of an electric mixer scraping the bowl constantly until just blended (the batter will be thick, if desired you may add in a few more tablespoons cream or milk).
- Pour into paper-lined regular size muffin tins filling under just three-quarters full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the cupcakes test done (do not overbake as they will be dry).
- Immediately remove from pans.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- *Note* if desired 1-1/2 tsp almond extract may be used instead of vanilla, for a almond flavor.
These were weird. I followed the recipe exactly. They had a very cornbread like texture. And to my surprise, even a bit of a cornbread taste! ....like a vanilla cornbread. They still tasted alright, just strange. If someone gave me one, I would probably eat it. However, I do not intend to make them again.
I made this recipe yesterday and they were so horrible I threw them away. They were hollow, greasy, looked like bad yorkshire pudding. Made them again today because DH said I had to have done something wrong. Same results. I was sure it wasn't me because I am a mis en place kinda cook. I thought since it was Kitten they would be perfect. Save yourself the grief and try a different cupcake. DH is trying to take a photo so you can see todays disaster. I am so sorry. We were trying recipes for a wedding shower for 125 people and thank goodness I didn't give the recipe to the helpers. Sorry Kittencal.
Like the past two responders, my cupcakes too turned out strange. I followed everything to the tee, but my cupcakes tasted like cornbread too! =( oh well..On to look for a new vanilla cupcake recipe