Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful easy and quick no-fat gravy that may be used with canned broth or de-fatted chicken or turkey pan drippings and also may be made using beef drippings or canned beef broth --- if you are using chicken or turking drippings from the pan defat in a fat separator firstly then if needed add in fat-free chicken broth or water to equal 2 cups there is no need to add in the bouillon powder and garlic powder with the drippings just heat on top of the stove in a saucepan and continue with the flour/milk mixture --- this is a wonderful recipe for no-fat gravy!
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth (or de-fatted pan drippings and if needed add in chicken broth or water to measure 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder (OMIT if using pan drippings)
- 3 teaspoons oxo chicken bouillon powder (or 1 small envelope, OMIT if using pan drippings)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour (for a thicker gravy increase flour by 1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk (or for a more creamy gravy use 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk)
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan combine the broth with black pepper, garlic powder,and chicken boullion powder; cook over medium-low heat until at a simmer.
- In a bowl whisk the flour with milk until smooth; add to the simmering broth stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Continue stirring until bubby and thickened.
- Season with more black pepper if desired.
This gravy turned out terrific made it with beef and everybody liked it.Used evaporated milk because we like creamy gravies.Thanks Kit for posting will do again this time will try on chicken
Terrific gravy! I roasted a turkey breast for New Years Eve dinner with an onion and a celery stalk in the bottom, and the drippings were pretty well fat free on their own. A bit of pepper, milk and flour later and bingo! The perfect final flourish for our potatoes. Thanks a bunch.
OMG!! This is so good! Thank you for saving me from boring mashed potatoes. I love gravy and had to give this a try. I made everyone in the family try it as they passed through the kitchen before dinner....HUGE HIT! I used the fat free evaporated milk to make it thicker and followed the rest of the recipe exactly. Thanks again, I will definitly make this again. Can't wait to serve it to the masses at a large family gathering, lets see if they can tell it's fat free! Again a big thanks!