You may also add in 1/3 cup dry red wine, do not add in any extra salt to this --- cooking time is for a 4-pound roast.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (4 lb) beef chuck roast
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium beef broth (use only low-sodium broth)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces small white button mushrooms (leave whole do not slice, can use more)
- Season the roast with black pepper and garlic powder (do not season with salt).
- Heat oil in a skillet or pot over medium-high heat; add in roast and brown on all sides.
- Place the onion soup mix, broth and Worcestershire sauce into the slow cooker; mix to combine.
- Add in the browned roast and turn the roast a few times to coat in the broth mixture.
- Sprinkle the veggies around the roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 8-10 hours.