Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
You may also add in 1/3 cup dry red wine, do not add in any extra salt to this --- cooking time is for a 4-pound roast.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (4 lb) beef chuck roast
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium beef broth (use only low-sodium broth)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces small white button mushrooms (leave whole do not slice, can use more)
- Season the roast with black pepper and garlic powder (do not season with salt).
- Heat oil in a skillet or pot over medium-high heat; add in roast and brown on all sides.
- Place the onion soup mix, broth and Worcestershire sauce into the slow cooker; mix to combine.
- Add in the browned roast and turn the roast a few times to coat in the broth mixture.
- Sprinkle the veggies around the roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 8-10 hours.
Sounds yummy. If you're like me and sensitive to salt, I suggest that you combine the broth with the worcestershire sauce and onion soup mix very carefully. I find it easy to get overwelmed. I mix my own onion soup mix and have discovered that it is mostly dried onion with beef boullion and the beef boullion is what can get you. I would probably add the worcestershire(for flavor and dried onion and maybe seasoning freely until it tastes good and add dried boullion only if the broth seems weak. I have been fooled by seasoning before and if it is too salty, I cannot eat the dish. Beef is wayyy too expensive to waste!
I've made this twice now... added 2 tbs. of Wylers beef seasoning for richer flavor, omitted the mushroom (I don't like them), substituted garlic powder for 2 tbs of minced garlic (from a jar)... added the garlic and onion to the pan when browning the meat and cut the oil in 1/2. There's only 2 of us so I only used a 3 lb chuck roast too. this is now the ONLY way I'll make crock pot chuck roast & veggies... Added bonus.... After having a bowl at lunch the next day, still had about 2 cups of beef 1 large potatoe and 1 cup of gravy left, plus the carrots, onions celery... so tonight, 3 days later, I made some vegetabe soup... added 1 1/2 cups of beef broth, 1 cup of spicy V8, 1 stalk of celery, 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, 3 tbs of fresh onion, 1 small potato, and 1/2 cup of frozen mixed veggies (peas and carrots).... boiled everything for about 10 min, then simmered for 10... it was AWESOME and didn't need any extra seasoning...
Love this recipe! I have actually made this several times, and keep forgetting to review! This is a great dish to dump in the crock pot before work and eat at the end of a long day! If you should have any leftovers try Kittencal's Beef Pot Pie! Great way to use them up! Thanks Kitten for another winner!!!