1/6 Photos of Kittencal's Crispy Potato and Green Onion Pancakes (Latkes)
This recipe goes back 30 years or more, my family *loves* these! you can make these ahead of time and then freeze, just cool and place on a large baking sheet to freeze, when frozen stack in a freezer container or pop them into a freezer bag, to reheat and re-crisp, defrost the pancakes then place in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes turn over then continue baking until crisp, I strongly suggest to double the recipe these will be half gone before they even make it to the table! I like to add in some cayenne pepper and a bit of garlic powder but that is optional --- yield is only estimated you should get between 20-23 pancakes for this recipe, to make things easier use your processor to grate the potatoes, plan ahead the grated potatoes need to soak for a minimum of 8-24 hours or even up to 2 days to remove some of the starch, the longer soaking time the crispier they will be --- serve with sour cream :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour (or use matzo meal)
- 2 -4 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt to taste)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 -6 green onions, finely chopped (use as much as you like I use lots!)
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (good to add in!) (optional)
- oil (for frying)
- 1Grate the potatoes using a the coarse side if the grater or use a food processor.
- 2Place into a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- 3Allow the grated potatoes to soak for at least a minimum of 8 hours or even up to 2 days.
- 4Using your hands firmly squeeze handfuls of the grated potatoes to remove as much liquid as possible, then place in a large mixing bowl.
- 5Add in egg, flour, seasoned salt and pepper; mix well with a wooden spoon, then add in the green onions and parsley (if using).
- 6Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 7Place a heaping tablespoonful of the potato mixture into the hot skillet and using a fork, flatten slightly (the edges will be uneven!).
- 8Sprinkle with more salt if desired.
- 9Place only a few pancakes in the pan, careful not to over crowd.
- 10Cook until golden and crisp on both sides adding in more oil if needed).
- 11Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Crispy Potato and Green Onion Pancakes (Latkes)
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 102.8
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 30.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: