Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have been making this for years it's one of my family's favorite rice dishes! use arborio rice only for this any other rice will not produce the same creamy texture --- keep all chicken broth hot in a saucepan next to where you are making the risotto and also have a ladle handy --- make certain to prepare this rice when you have a bit of time as it will take between 25-30 minutes in front of the stove top to make this.
- 5 cups hot good-quality chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese (can use less)
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and black pepper
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan; reduce the heat, to low and cover the saucepan to keep hot.
- In another heavy-bottomed saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter over medium-low heat, add in onion and saute until very tender but not brown (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add in garlic and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat slightly and add in the rice; stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in 1-1/2 cups hot broth with a ladle; boil gently, stirring until the broth is absorbed.
- Add in another 1 cup broth, and stir until absorbed.
- Add in 1/2 cup broth at a time allowing the broth to absorb before adding in another 1/2 cup (do this until you have used up all of the broth) stirring frequently until the rice is tender and creamy (this should take between 25-30 minutes).
- Stir in 3 tablespoons butter and 1-1/4 cup (or less) grated Parmesan cheese; mix to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Another delicious recipe Kitten !! I had made some of my Osso Bucco for lunch this past week and felt like some cheesy risotto and of course I found yours and had to try. Delicious stuff as all of your recipes are.. I just had added about 1/4 cup of white wine after adding the arborio rice to the pan. I also just cut the recipe in half for just the two of us. Oh how I love Risotto, and your recipe was just so nice and creamy with a great cheese taste. Yummy stuff....Thanks for sharing this wonderful dish Kitten ....
Like many others, this was my first attempt at risotto and I was absolutely delicious. I did change the recipe up a bit, adding in arugala and black truffle oil, as well as switching to vegetable both. Phenomenal.
This is my first time making risotto and this recipe was not only easy but it was very very delicious. I will be making this often.